Wednesday, April 21, 2010

E=waste for Earth Day

The triumphant return is due to excitement about ewasting and Earth Day. Been super busy with work for many months, then when that ended I needed to recuperate in the daily living world before resuming the electronic spam world. But yes I'm back. Slim is back. Yes I'm back, yes I'm back. Doo-doo doo doo doo.
We're bulking up our battery collection bags, gathering goodies, and every last electronic doo-dad that is no longer useful and prepping it for transfer to e-waste in conjunction with Earth Day. The man's work is a big enough company to pull together a special collection day and take advantage of it we are! Everything with a cord or electric capacity is game for the ewaste, from my dead laptop being disassembled here to the broken sprinkler controller parts.
Plus I sent all the expired salad dressing bottles to the blue curb-side bin and we are in business!
    Meanwhile we've started an attempt to consciously decrease the amount of plastic we use. Buying soda in aluminum cans. Buying soap by the bar instead of as body wash. Buying the largest bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I've resumed bringing my cup from the car to the take out restaurants instead of using new ones, he's getting a cup for Starbucks coffee runs, and I'm very close to remembering to bring tupperware to breakfast on Saturdays for my left over breakfast burrito parts. The intention is so there that the memory will start to kick in soon I think. We go to at least one restaurant (Saffron in San Diego) that gives you 10% discount if you bring your own containers for take out - it's nice to be encouraged!
I was out of town on a business trip for earthhour in the end of March (enjoyed it so much last year) - I'll have to do some re-creations this year. The new backyard (I have so much to share that has happened since Feb!) has a fire pit so that will be even more fun to light up and turn the power off. Going low tech is so much fun sometimes. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment