Sunday, February 14, 2010

Seeds inbound

The generosity of my mother formed my garden the first year. She mailed me her extra seeds, and that's what I planted. I bought some seeds to go along with hers the second year. This year, I just went for it and ordered some of my own seeds online. The cherry quinoa is what made me do it. I haven't seen seeds for that at the local stores. Sounds like it's somewhat tall, gangly plant that I'll have to grow a lot of to get enough to eat, but heck I want to try it. Also ordered soy beans (edamame), orange spaghetti squash, acorn squash and some more generic stuff like marketmore cucumbers and snow peas. I still have a lot of old seeds from 2009 and 2008 that I'll plant this year. I've heard people refrigerate their seeds, but so far I've had success with leaving them at room temperature (knock on wood). Suppose I had better start mapping out what I'm going to plant where and when... Also thinking of buying some hops rhizomes so I can support my beer making man. But they grow 30 feet a year and require a trellis so I'll have to plan properly for that... Here's a pic of the latest beer batch on secondary. Supposedly he's switching to barley wine after this, which will I can't wait to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment