Saturday, August 15, 2009

Easy, healthy meal: Udon

This meets my cooking requirements for being cheap, easy, and healthy. I buy udon packets in the refrigerated section of my grocery store. To the packet, I add tofu, eggbeaters, and homegrown tatsoy (but you can substitute bok choy, onions, broccoli, spinach, or anything you have available). This is a winter staple at our house, but I had so much tatsoy ready for harvest last week that I broke it out in the middle of summer. The packets I buy have fish flavoring, so are not stricly vegetarian, but you may be able to find some that are if that's important to you. Overall, it's a hearty healthy meal that my meatarian man loves. And can you beat 3 minutes cooking time? Two packets of udon with the eggs and tofu and greenery added make at least 3 servings if not 4. This was potentially one of my entries for the dinner for 4 for under $10 contest...
I follow directions on the packet for the most part, adding a little more water than called for. Then cook the eggs or eggbeaters in the microwave. Add a couple drops of soy sauce (be careful - if you add too much the egg won't cook) to the eggs and cook for approximately 45 seconds per egg. I used these handy Silicone Zone egg poachers, which made little egg florets (top is uncooked, bottom cooked). I cut one and left one whole this time, but in the future will leave them all whole - like meatballs. Add the greenery to the boiling soup along with the tofu and eggs and you're done! Seriously easy, but also quite yummy. And the tofu/eggs have enough protein to make it quite filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment