Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Six days of squash and first harvest

When I was out of town for a long weekend, the butternut squash exploded. Here's a six-day time elapse. I've got watermelon and spinach plants now covered in squash. I should probably walk outside right now and attempt to relocate them to the middle box or pots. It's not going to end well if I let those 3 watermelons in the bottom left corner stay there. And the poor spinach would probably appreciate some sunlight.

One thing that's cracking me up is that the cantaloupe and the cucumbers look identical. I mean the flowers, the leaves, everything. I should know in another week as the fruit mature if the seeds got switched at birth or if I had a record keeping snafu when I mapped the planting locations. So strange!
In order to alleviate some of the chaos, I harvested some of the bigger spinach leaves (growing within the squash patch) and 2 zucchinis. I used the celebration of the first harvest as an excuse to cook dinner at 3 pm. (I could also blame being in a different time zone the last 5 days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment