Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Sweet potato patties w/ poached eggs

The sweet potato patties are great and recipe follows, but my excitement right now is centered on the poached egg. Yummy but tricky... so not something I usually cook at home. Until I heard a rumor these silicone egg cups could help, and found instructions on the web. This was my first time, adding the egg in a cup to boiling water deep enough to float it, putting the lid on (the steam helps it cook) and waiting 6 minutes before fetching the cup out with a slotted ladle. It worked! While the web had suggested some oil or spray to keep it from sticking, I started by rinsing the cup and leaving a tiny bit of water inside which was good enough to prevent any sticking. And next time I'll probably try 5 minutes cooking time. My goal is to have the white all solid but as much yolk runny as possible.

OK here's the sweet potato patty recipe. Adapted from the Parsnip Patty recipe in Laurel's Kitchen, an old, hippy cookbook that everyone should own. Order it now before you forget!
  • One cup walnuts, chopped (I use a food processor)
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, shredded (again with the food processor)
  • 2 cloves garlic finely chopped (or mixed in food processor with above)
  • 4 eggs
Mix everything together and bake in an oven on 375 F for about 25 minutes. Your call if you want to lay out round patties on a baking sheet, or pack everything solidly into something like a lasagna pan and then cut it up into squares later on. Both work well. Serve with a sprinkling (I use a lot) of salt on top. Accidentally gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment