Saturday, April 30, 2016

Onions

Took advantage of being the only human in the house to make vegetarian french onion soup and oatmeal souffle (with green onions) recipe. So yummy!!! I make all sorts of mistakes with the souffle and it's essentially a short, flat quiche when it's done, but tasty and that's all I care about.
French onion soup
2 onions 
2 T butter 
1 T olive oil
2 or 3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup sherry
bread/toast
cheese (cheddar or parmesan or both)
Saute the first 3 things for 30-45 min at low heat. Add broth and sherry and simmer for another 30ish minutes. Broil or toast cheese on bread. Serve by placing the pre-cheesed toast in bowl then ladleing in the onion soup. Takes a little time, but simple ingredients and quite flavorful. This time I used one yellow onion, one half red onion, and two small purple spring onions (bulbs only) for the soup. Use whatever you have on hand. I was inspired by having a few stale bread rolls (we almost never have bread in the house, but I bought these for beet burgers) that I wanted to use up rather than throw out.

No comments:

Post a Comment