Monday, March 23, 2015

Lemons and beech mushrooms

Received about 20 oranges from a coworker and made marmalade. Pretty straight forward.

Received about 40 lemons from the same coworker and am not as sure what to do with them, but started with this lemon dessert recipe that was described as part panna cotta and part lemon custard. Mine was likely more tart because I don't think I was using meyer lemons, but it was a little too much for me. I find it a little too strong to eat alone, but it might be marvelous served with something like sponge cake, or sugar cookies or pound cake or something relatively plain. Instead of eating whole cup of it, if you served it in 1/4 cup servings with something else it would hit the spot. Next batch of lemons is going to become preserved lemons I think... I hear you can make martinis with those.
In other news, I signed up for a CSA on a whim (after deciding against them multiple times previously, but now it makes more sense because I don't have much growing in the yard) and kinda like it. It's more advanced than when I tried this 2 years ago, in that I can go online and see what they're proposing for me and switch things which is awesome and I've been doing a lot. This week we got beech mushrooms and tried an adaptation of this recipe, which I've listed below.
  • coconut oil 
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp sliced ginger
  • 1 cup/cluster beech mushrooms
  • 1 cup chopped cabbage
  • 1/2 cup thinly slices carrots
  • a few splashes of sesame chili oil
  • salt
Heat coconut oil, and stir fry the garlic and ginger for a minute. Add carrots and cabbage and stir fry for a few more minutes. Add splashes of sesame chili oil and mushrooms. Stir fry for 2-3 more minutes and add salt to taste. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment