Monday, October 15, 2012

Broiled tofu


Tried this recipe tonight and it's already topping my list of simple, yummy, healthy food. Adapted from this recipe where it's called Korean-style Broiled Tofu. I used 1 cake of firm tofu, but you can do 2 cakes with this recipe.
  • 1/2 to 2 cakes tofu (I used firm)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 clove garlic (pressed)
  • 1 tsp chili garlic sauce (you can find at an Asian market - it's Vietnamese)
Slice tofu in large sheets, trying for less than an inch per slice. I put them in my toaster oven, using the baking sheet with the toast rack on top of it, so the tofu is elevated. You could try putting it on a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on top to keep it off the pan, or if you want to put it on the pan put some oil on it so that it doesn't stick. I broiled about 10 minutes each side, but it will vary depending on your set up - the goal is to brown it a little without burning.
Boil everything else for a few minutes, then place the tofu in the boiling mixture for 2-3 minutes spooning a little of the extra sauce over the top while it's cooking. That's it!
If you have some greens steam or saute them up and pour the extra sauce over them. (writing this has reminded me I have another easy tofu recipe to share - coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment