Sunday, October 28, 2012

Beautiful beets

I made this pizze recipe (link) the other day with some mods (no onions and no beet greens) and it was ok (my feta was kind of dry... so next time I'm soaking it). But I took the left over beet mixture, added fresh mozzarella chopped into small pieces and loved it! Here's how I did it today:
  • 6 beets, chopped into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 T olive oil 
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1 T diced fresh rosemary
  • 1 to 1/2 a fresh mozzarella ball (I used about 4 oz)
Mix the beets and garlic with the oil, then bake for 30-40 minutes at 450 degrees. I put parchment paper over them for about half the time to help they stay moist. Meanwhile boil the vinegar and sugar briefly to dissolve it, then add the rosemary. Mix it all together then add the mozzarella after dicing it in small (1/2 inch chunks). I have a friend who isn't a fan of mozzarella and this is the dish I'd make to turn her.
Now if you want to make it super easy, just roast or steam (or microwave) the beets, and add balsamic vinaigrette and chopped cheese. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment