Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco de drinko (recipe updated)

Actually today is more about eating. Fired up some red, white, and green glassybabies, and got to work cooking some enchiladas that were good enough to share! Inspired by this (link), but with some lazy person changes of course. 

Update: After making this a few times, I've decided that the Trader Joes's enchilada sauce is so flavorful, that I actually like this better without the cumin, cayenne, garlic and salt. The filling is sweet and creamy, and the spicy sauce is a perfect contrast.

Black Bean and Yam Enchiladas
1-2 yams, cooked
1 can black beans, drained
1 or 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely diced (see update above)
1/2 cup to 1 cup neufchatel cheese (this is low fat cream cheese, but feel free to use regular cream cheese)
4 shakes cumin (see update above)
8 shakes ground cayenne pepper (see update above)
a little salt
4-6 tortillas
Enchilada sauce*
Grated cheese (optional)

Mash yams and black beans, then stir in other ingredients except tortillas and enchilada sauce. Pour some enchilada sauce on the bottom of an oven-proof pan, then fill each tortilla with the mixture, roll up and place in pan. After they're all made, pour more enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle on cheese if you're using it. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. I made 4 big enchiladas but you could make 6 small ones.
* I used Trader Joe's enchilada sauce, and the whole meal was a little too spicy for me. The filling was perfect on it's own, so maybe next time I'll put sauce on the ones for the man and skip sauce for me. We had no cheese in the house to top it with, and didn't miss it although cheese is always a good thing and I'd use it if I had it.

No comments:

Post a Comment