Sunday, October 18, 2015

Backyard gardening and fruit trees

We had a few rains this summer and early fall and every time every thing starts to bloom. Right now in mid-October it's the plums that are blooming like crazy. Hopefully they'll drop but if not I may need to get out the ladder and pull the blossoms off... The puppy let me have one fuji apple. She pulled it down October 7th, I let it wait a day or two then ate it and it was sweet and perfect. There was one of the other variety that survived the puppy rapture and until October 12th, but it was no where near as sweet. It either needed way more time or it's not my favorite kind.
I've been planting seeds directly in the planting beds for about a week, and planted them in egg cartons about 4 weeks ago. Still trying to get the seedlings to take, last time it was bugs that ate them when they were a few inches tall and nothing made it. Its time to thin the seedlings but I'm hesitant in case the bugs do their thing again... Planted the regular So Cal "winter" crops: broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach, carrots, beets, green onions, tatsoy, and snow peas. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment