Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter egg radishes

Some the easter egg radishes were harvested today for one of my favorite fruit containing salads. Oranges, avocados and radishes make up the salad - add a little lemon juice, salt and optional olive oil and you're done. I love to make this whenever avocados are on sale, although this time the motivation was my first batch of home grown radishes. This salad is worth trying - even for those of you who aren't fond of radishes. The orange flavor is dominant, and the combination works really well.
For this batch of salad I used 4 oranges, the radishes shown in the first photo, and 1 avocado (but if they had been on sale I would have put 2 avocados in). I squeezed the juice from 1/2 a lemon and sprinkled salt on. The ratio is not critical for any of the ingredients - use what you have. Some recipes call for olive oil in this type of salad, but I tend to skip it. If the rest of your menu is short on fat, add some oil to helps you absorb vitamins, but chances are you are going to eat something else with butter or oil in it already that can do the trick for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment