Sunday, July 11, 2010

Loving the recipe blogs

This past weekend was just lovely, with no social or work commitments, so I finished some outdoor projects and cooked. It's been a while since I've had fun in the kitchen but thanks to those crafty recipe bloggers, I had a blast.
First, let me tell you about the most stylin' and witty of new blogs, vintagesugarcube. She's posting new recipes every week with a few up now, and I can't wait to see the what's next! Her retro style and delicious recipes are just fab.
Next, there's smittenkitchen with a peach pie recipe that was suggested by a friend at work. My eagerness to eat the peaches from my tree meant not enough were left for a pie, so I added in some blueberries. Called a dessert for adults because it's not too sweet, this pie with creme fraiche was nearly perfect. When I make it next, I'll use unsalted butter (but the day laborer has eaten nearly all of it and disagreed that it was too salty). Tastes great the next day.
Finally, I found this carrot recipe which is spicy and sweet and shocked me that a shredded carrot salad could have such full, interesting flavor. I skipped on the mint, used Vietnamese garlic chili paste instead of harissa, and used the rest of the latest batch of carrots. Mutants and all. Gosh it was good the night I made it, but wasn't quite as flavorful the next day. 
Just love making yummy stuff with ingredients I have on hand or can pull from the backyard. Such a treat, to have so many talented chefs sharing their recipes on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment