Saturday, June 13, 2009
The dress is finished!
This is my first adult dress and I'd give myself a B+. I used a pattern from Burdastyle (Sabrina), which I was sucked into after looking at the different versions people had made of the pattern. This is missing the straps and pockets of the original version, with a tighter bust, to make it stay on. Speaking of which, I had to massively take in the top to get it to fit. Since I didn't realize this until after I had installed the side zipper, I decided to add darts to the back (near the shoulder blades) above the princess seams which worked well for fit in the bust, but created small poofiness in the lower back (which you probably wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out). I'll wear it like this a few times, then maybe add straps or pockets (with turqoise trim). The fabric was inexpensive "bottomwear" ($7.50) which when combined with pattern ($3.50) and zipper ($3) made the dress cost less than $15!